How to Prepare Your Irrigation System for Colder Temperatures
Every fall, the air temperature drops before the ground temperature does, meaning there's a short period of time before blowing out your irrigation system where your system will be exposed to freezing temperatures. Here is everything you need to know about how to care for your irrigation system during this time period.
- The ground is a big insulator. Since most of your system is buried, it will be protected from the air temperature. It takes long stretches of colder weather before the ground temperature will be below freezing and it becomes essential to have your system blown out. In Wisconsin and Minnesota, that typically happens around mid December.
- Cover any exposed parts of your system with a towel or blanket when the temperatures get below freezing. Typically a system will have some exposed hoses near the control box and those parts do not have the ground to protect them.
- Keep your water on and running. Moving water takes longer to freeze, so keep the water moving through your system!
- Keep the valve box closed. Keeping it closed will trap the warm air in the box and keep it warmer for longer until your system gets blown out.
- Make sure you get on the list to get your system blown out early in the year. Irrigation companies that provide fall blow out services have limited capacity and book up fast in this area. The Green Oasis schedule gets set by September, long before temperatures start dropping. The earlier in the year that you contact us, the better the chances you get on our schedule for your preferred time frame are!
- Enlist the help of a professional. Your irrigation provider can walk you through how to pre-pare your system for cold snaps, answer any questions that you have, and make sure the job gets done right. Failure to blow out your system correctly can lead to costly repairs in the spring, so make sure you read reviews and do your research on your provider!
If you would like some advice on how to protect your system from dropping air temperatures or if you would like to schedule a fall blow out for your irrigation system, call Green Oasis at 715-832-0800 or visit www.greenoasis.co to learn more.